World Supersport Rookie Nicolo Bulega tops combined times on Day 1
Friday Free Practice has concluded at the Grand Ridge Brewery Australian Round and it was Aruba.it Racing WorldSSP Team rider Nicolo Bulega who topped the combined standings. Bulega managed to pip Frederico Caricasulo’s best time by a marginal 0.040 seconds after the two 45-minute practice sessions.
Despite showing a strong pace in Free Practice 1, riders Frederico Caricasulo (Althea Racing), Nikki Tuuli (MV Augusta Reparto Corse), and Jules Cluzel (GMT94 Yamaha) were among the list of riders who made no improvements from their time posted in Free Practice 1. With Caricasulo’s fastest time posted in FP2 nine tenths off his Free Practice 1 time.
For Yari Montella (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing), the Italian rider made waves at the front of the pack despite making his debut appearance at Phillip Island Circuit today. Montella improved by a near 1.5 seconds between the two practice sessions to round out the day in 4th overall.
Oli Bayliss (BARNI Spark Racing Team) posted a near identical at the conclusion of both FP2 sessions, with his fastest time seeing the Aussie rider round out the top 10 spots.
GMT94 Yamaha duo Andy Verdoia and Jules Cluzel were 11th and 12th respectively, with neither rider improving their lap time from FP1. Verdoia was fourth in the first session as he posted a 1’34.859s while Cluzel set a 1’35.124s. Wildcard Marcel Schroetter (MV Agusta Reparto Corse), making his debut ahead of a full-time switch to WorldSSP next year, was 13th while Marcel Brenner (VFT Racing) and Hannes Soomer (Dynavolt Triumph) rounded out the top 15.
Adrian Huertas (MTM Kawasaki) was 18th in the combined classification after he had a crash at Turn 8, with the 2021 WorldSSP300 Champion taken to the medical centre for a check-up following the crash. Huertas improved his time between FP1 and FP2, posting a best of 1’35.919s, but lost just under 10 minutes of track time following his crash.
WORLD SUPERSPORT COMBINED TIMES
- Nicolo Bulega (Aruba.it Racing WorldSSP Team) – 1:34.027
- Frederico Caricasulo (Althea Racing) – 1:34.067
- Dominique Aegerter (Ten Kate Racing Yamaha) – 1:34.458
- Yari Montella (Kawasaki Pucetti Racing) – 1:34.532
- Stefano Manzi (Dynavolt Triumph) 1:34.617
- Can Oncu (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing) – 1:34.673
- Lorenzo Baldassarri) – 1:34.737
- Raffaele De Rosa (Orelac Racing Verdnatura WorldSSP) – 1:34.765
- Niki Tuuli (MV Agusta Reparto Corse) – 1:34.783
- Oliver Bayliss (BARNI Spark Racing Team) – 1:34.823